This summer I was able to attend the ASHP Summer Meetings in Boston, MA. It was my first experience at an ASHP meeting and it was the best first meeting I could have attended. I arrived on Saturday and as I made my way from my hotel to the convention center for registration I stumbled upon the pride parade that was taking place right outside. It was such an exciting day! After hitting the registration desk and exploring the area around the convention center, I started my Summer Meetings experience.
As you can see from my itinerary below, it was a busy 5 days – but it was a wonderful 5 days! I made so many connections with so many people from all over the country. The smaller setting for this meeting is really great for making those connections. Not only do you have the time to sit down and have a conversation with someone, you also see them multiple times throughout the meeting.
This summer, there are two interns completing the ASHP Summer Internship – Kelsie Ellis and myself. Kelsie and I are completing the internship at different times, I started in May and she started in June, so we met for the first time at the Summer Meeting. It was the perfect time for us to meet and get to know each other before we started working together at ASHP and I know we will be friends for a long time to come.
If you have the chance to attend the ASHP Summer Meetings in the future, I highly recommend that you do. It is an enriching experience and you leave feeling rejuvenated and excited to be a part of this profession!
Here is a breakdown of my 5-day itinerary at the 2019 Summer Meetings in Boston, MA:
- Open Forum for Members
- Roundtable: Women in Pharmacy Leadership
- President’s Reception
- Meet and Greet with Pharmacy Leaders
- Strategies for Personal and Professional Success Workshop
- First House of Delegates Meeting*
- The Psychology of Pain: Managing Expectations and Offering Solutions
- Teamwork: A Key to Effective Leadership
- Grand Opening Reception in the Exhibit Hall
- Opening Session and Keynote
- The Opioid Epidemic: How We Got Here, How We Can End It
- ASHP Government Relations Update: Advancing Pharmacy Practice Through Proactive Advocacy
- Meet the Candidates – Candidates for ASHP Offices to Go on the Record*
- Student Advocacy Workshop
- Building Leadership Resilience: Part 1
- Building Leadership Resilience: Part 2
- Red Sox Game
- Physical Assessment for Ambulatory Care Pharmacists: Part 1**
- Physical Assessment for Ambulatory Care Pharmacists: Part 2**
*attended only part of this session
**volunteered to be a patient
If you have any questions for me, please feel free to email me at email@example.com.
Be on the lookout for my next blog post where I will be sharing the rest of my experience as an ASHP Summer Intern at ASHP Headquarters in Bethesda, MA.