As I reflect on my time at ASHP, I remember the many individuals who mentioned how much they love their job. Shouldn’t we all strive to find a job we love? With Midyear quickly approaching, many of us are looking at residency programs and/or first jobs. I wanted to share some of the advice I received from ASHP staff for finding a job you love.
- Look at each step of your pharmacy journey as an adventure. Your path may not be straight and narrow, but you can learn something from each experience. You can use each position to help you determine your true passions within the pharmacy profession. Stay flexible.
- Practice makes perfect. You are not supposed to know everything on your first day in a new position. Patience is important in helping you achieve success. Sometimes you will have to fail a few times before you will succeed. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. gave 2500 speeches before he gave his most famous “I Have a Dream” speech.
- Continue your involvement in ASHP throughout your career. ASHP can provide you with encouragement, mentors, mentees, friends all over the country, education advancement opportunities, and so much more.
- Strive to advance our profession in each of your positions. The ASHP Government Affairs Division says, “If you’re not on the bus, you’re under it.”
- Have fun with each step in your journey!
I hope you find this advice as helpful as I have. I look forward to seeing many of you at Midyear in less than a week!